Do you have a personal story you wish to write?
Do you wonder...
* how to create a structure your material so that it becomes compelling reading for others?
* how to transform your personal experiences into stories of universal interest?
* what the difference is between autobiography and memoir?
* where the line is between memory and fiction?
* how you can write about difficult situations or people, especially if those people are still alive?
* if it is possible to write accurately about something that happened decades ago?
* how to recreate dialogue in a convincing and truthful way?
* what happens if someone else remembers the same events differently?
* what to do if writing your story inspires someone to want to throw a brick through your window?
If any of these questions feel familiar or relevant, you are in the right place.
Many people come to my workshops because they aren't sure where or how to start. Others have been writing for a while but find themselves feeling stuck, overwhelmed or out of steam. Experienced writers might come with a series of specific questions for which they need answers. But most often people arrive timidly, warily, with a long-held dream to write and a decision that now is finally, finally, the time.
No matter where you are with your writing, a workshop can guide and inspire you. In addition to offering the tools needed to structure and sculpt your personal stories successfully, a workshop can spare unnecessary struggle, frustration and confusion, while offering the accountability and support (and laughter!) we simply cannot find on our own.
Over the course of a short workshop, participants learn to hone their stories, settle into their voices, find focus and clarity, understand their strengths, bypass obstacles, gain confidence, employ the insights and feedback from the group, and walk away with the motivation and inspiration to turn their ideas into beautiful writing.
2018/2019 MEMOIR WRITING WORKSHOPS
27 January - 3 February 2019 ~ OR ~ 25 February - 3 March 2019 (week-long retreat) [DETAILS]
Stratford, Ontario (Canada):
Mondays, 10am - 1pm, 1 April - 6 May 2019 (6 weekly sessions)
Tuesdays, 10am - 1pm, 2 April - 7 May 2019 (6 weekly sessions)
Château Marcoux, France:
11-17 May 2019 ~ OR ~ 19-25 May 2019 (week-long retreat) [DETAILS]
27 October - 3 November 2019 [registration not yet open; please join mailing list below]
WORKSHOP FORMAT: Each session begins with an informal lecture and discussion about one of the essential elements of memoir writing. After that, everyone has the option of sharing and receiving feedback on one short piece of writing (or an excerpt from a longer piece). Writing can be generated over the course of the workshop or be previously created. While virtually everyone is apprehensive (or downright nauseous) about sharing their writing at first, guidelines for helpful feedback and a well-monitored workshop ensure that the experience is an inspiring, encouraging and clarifying one. The aim of every session is to provide each writer with fresh and ongoing insights into her/his work, as well as the direction, focus, clarity, enthusiasm and energy s/he needs to move forward.